Tuesday 1 May 2012

Lesser Black-backed Gull damage

Had the usual walk by the flash this morning but nothing about apart from female Kestrel, then by 9 I was heading for Kendal as I needed to take my new lens back for a replacement, as the auto-focus isn't working as it should. unfortunately they didn't have a replacement in the shop so will have to have another trip down there on Friday to pic new one up.
       In the afternoon I decided to have a walk round Thacka reserve and check if the Otter was out, but unfortunately it didn't make an appearance. At long last though the place was teeming with Swallows and a few House Martins.

One of the House Martins.


It wasn't easy trying to get a photo, the wind was blowing me all over the place and very cold it was too, I also noticed that the House Martins seem to be flying faster than the Swallows.

Now these are the birds that are making everyone angry -------

Lesser Black-backed Gulls
there are quite a number of them at the moment, and they are gobbleing every young water bird they can get their greedy beaks on. Young Mallard, ditto- Coot, ditto Moorhen, and now it seems  the 2 Goslings have gone the same way as they are nowhere to be seen.

Lesser Black-back Gull

I'm sure I can see the shape of gosling in its belly.

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! I can't imagine seeing the gull eating the other birds. We have the Lesser and Greater BB gulls here in the winter and I have heard of this, but luckily never seen such a sight. I did find a severely injured juvenile Laughing Gull in the same area, and wondered if one of the BB gulls caused the injury..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, one day I was sat in a hide at Leighton Moss when suddenly a Greater Black-backed Gull came gliding in and snatched an adult Coot took it to a grassy area killed it and proceeded to eat it. I was so amazed by the spectacle I must taking a pic if the actual event.
      Take care, Gordon.

      Delete

A big thank you to everyone for looking in and leaving their comments, much appreciated, Gordon.