Sunday 12 January 2014

A frustrating walk around the patch

Another frosty sunny morning and after taking the dogs out and a bit of shopping, I made my way up to the patch. My first thoughts where to give the big hedge a going over, I like to move South to North as the sun and lighting are better as regards photography. Well that turned out to be a joke, the place was busier than the M6, for a start every Dog and its owner was there, then it was every dog, its owner and a push chair was there. Every time I put lens to bird they disappeared faster than Paul Daniels could say "not a lot".
     So I headed off up to the top track and the flash, where I found this little lot.
To the right a mixed flock of gulls, to the left 40 Lapwings with a few Black-headed Gulls
Its nice to see a few Lapwings coming back, and yesterday there was a single Oystercatcher
This is one of the House Sparrow that hang out by the cottages.
After leaveing the top track I doubled back to give the big hedge another go, on the first viewing, the Reed buntings where still about and a small flock of Goldfinch but where disturbed before I could get the lens on them. Now on this second visite I found a few Greenfinch.

Greenfinch

And lastly one of the many Carrion Crows that patrol the patch

Although rather unsocial.
  Linking to Stewarts wild bird Wednesday at --http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.co.uk/

16 comments:

  1. the greenfinch makes a fine color splash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice birds....love those Carrion Crows....they look like they are full of personality:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos and a nice variety of birds. The Greenfinches are especially beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must have been a lovely day for so many people to be out and about! Cute little finch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice selection. At least you saw a few....
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice variety of birds! I really like the Greenfinch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to find the Lapwings and Gulls! The Greenfinch is a beauty. Now, if you can just find an effective method of crowd control!

    Have a good week, Gordon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one Wally , I like that.
      A;; the best Gordon.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful images, love that Osprey banner photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my patch is very quiet at the moment, again very frustrating. Keep working it though then rewards will come

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that Osprey on your header-- those in our neighborhood will not let me get very close at all. The Greenfinch reminds me of our female Indigo Bunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ken, and I think you may have confirmed a sighting I had down at Flamingo, it looked like an all green bird, but I was only getting fleeting views, so no real ID.
      All the best Gordon.

      Delete
  11. As always I thank you all for your kind and interesting comments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My, those lapwings are beautiful birds. Stunning Greenfinch. Wonderful photographs of all the birds! Here's hoping next time you visit the patch, it will be a little less crowded.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes it does seem like everyone and their dog walks on your local patch! And sometimes you have the place to yourself!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

A big thank you to everyone for looking in and leaving their comments, much appreciated, Gordon.